Re: What to do when DD considers policy to be optional? [kubernetes]

On Friday, 27 March 2020 7:08:35 PM AEDT Marc Haber wrote:
> Many upstreams deliver .deb packages of their current releases in
> noticeably high quality from a Debian point of view. One should look
> at them before putting them in production.

I have a very different observations regarding upstream packaging for Debian.
Most vendor packages are of notoriously bad quality, disconnected from Debian
practices and bug reports, not benefiting from QA and continuous testing,
heavily compromising on policy compliance, not following library transitions,
etc., etc.

The very existence of vendor packaging often indicates unwillingness to do
the job properly, up to our standards, and maybe even unwillingness to
cooperate with Debian to achieve proper integration. Precisely because it is
easier to do a quick sloppy work that won't be accepted without much
improvements.

>From vendor prospective having their own packages asserts exclusive control -
a something that some appreciate more than proper integration with Debian or
benefits of distributing software with/through Debian.

--
Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something,
sometime in your life.
        -- Victor Hugo, "Villemain", 1845
           (often misattributed to Winston Churchill)