Re: FTP Team -- call for volunteers

On Thursday, March 19, 2020 10:31:55 AM EDT Luca Filipozzi wrote:

> > > I'm confused.  As near as I can tell, we already are looking super
> > > closely at new packages.
> >
> > Yes, and there's the problem. To move from a situation where we try and
> > say "we're a distributor, not a publisher", then we would need to stop
> > doing some of those checks, or at least work out a way of automating
> > them.
>
> [snip very useful explanation - thanks for that, Neil!]
>
> > So, to ease the burden on ftp-masters by trying to say that
> >
> > > the responsibility of the right to redistribute of the uploaded
> > > software be moved on the uploader instead
> >
> > as suggested by Alexis, means we need to be very careful about /not/
> > looking too closely at what we put out.
>
> Isn't part of Debian's charm the quality that we attempt to bring to the
> packages that we publish?
>
> How does our coorindation for things like py2->py3 impact our position
> as publisher vs distributor?

I think it's an essential element of the value proposition that Debian brings
to the table.  We're an integrator that is working to deliver a coherent set
of capabilities in a release.  If we aren't going to do that, we may as well
dump all the (for example) Python packages and tell people to use pypi (CPAN,
pick your language specific publishing mechanism).

Scott K