Re: apt 2.0 release notes

On 2020-03-10 at 06:58, Julian Andres Klode wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 07, 2020 at 09:41:44PM +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
>
>> ### Incompatibilities
>>
>> * The apt(8) command no longer accepts regular expressions or wildcards as
>>   package arguments, use patterns (see New Features).
>
> Correction - regular expressions starting in ^ or ending in $ (that is,
> anchored) are still being accepted. We know there are multiple scripts
> out there using those, and they are safe to handle.
>
> After evaluating feedback, we'll soon be reinstating wildcards using
> * as well, but no other special characters from glob(7), as most of those
> seem pointless in our context, and limiting our exposure to * makes it
> easier to reason about.
>
> So syntax overview for package arguments:
>
> ^foo		Regular expression
> foo$		Regular expression
> foo*		Wildcard (* may appear anywhere, and multiple times)
> ~foo		Pattern
> ?foo		Pattern
> task^		Task

Just for completeness / clarity, as with when this was announced
previously as upcoming:

What about inline install/remove markers, of the form

foo+
foo-

, which modify install/remove behavior on a per-package basis in
'install', 'remove', and (I think) 'upgrade' classes of invocation?

My understanding from before is that while these still result in
ambiguity depending on what package names exist in the available
repositories, they are not being affected by the current change. Is that
(still) correct?

Are there any known plans for changes regarding this inline
install/remove syntax in the currently foreseeable future?

--
   The Wanderer