Re: Packaging new library very similar to another library

On Sunday, March 8, 2020 2:32:54 PM EDT Aaron Boxer wrote:
> Correction: this is the current package for openjpeg:
>
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/openjpeg2
>
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 2:30 PM Aaron Boxer <boxerab@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello!
> > I maintain an image compression library
> >
> > https://github.com/GrokImageCompression/grok
> >
> > which is very similar to an existing package in debian:
> >
> > https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=openjpeg
> >
> > I would like to package my library and add it to debian - can I re-use the
> > packaging from OpenJPEG to do that ?
> >
> > Thank you!
> > Aaron Boxer

According to the packages debian/copyright file [1] you can as long as you
follow the terms of the BSD 2 clause license (there is a copy of the license
there too).

Scott K

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/o/openjpeg2/copyright-2.3.1-1