Re: pager and upgrades

Hi Russell,

Russell Coker <russell@coker.com.au> writes:

> I just upgraded a Buster system to today's unstable and got the below.  I
> think this should be regarded as a bug, but what is it a bug in?  dpkg?
>
> Configuration file '/etc/smartd.conf'
>  ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
>  ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
>    What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
>     Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
>     N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
>       D     : show the differences between the versions
>       Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
>  The default action is to keep your current version.
> *** smartd.conf (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? d
> sh: 1: pager: not found
> diff: standard output: Broken pipe
> dpkg: error processing package smartmontools (--configure):
>  conffile difference visualizer subprocess returned error exit status 127

/usr/bin/pager should be a link to /etc/alternatives/pager, which should
then link to a pager.  On a minimal installation this should point to
/bin/more, from util-linux.

If I had to speculate, maybe /e/a/p is a broken link to something, and
maybe there's a bug in the package that provides that alternative pager?

Anyways, if it's not an obvious bug then you'll almost certainly be
asked to provide steps to reproduce.

Best,
Nicholas