Re: bootstrap.min.js in pydoctor

Quoting Daniel Leidert (2020-02-26 10:27:03)
> Am Dienstag, den 25.02.2020, 17:40 +0000 schrieb Ian Jackson:
> > For -devel, context is that Anthony Fok just uploaded a new upstream
> > version of pydoctor (a tool for extracting API docs for python
> > modules) in order to fix a couple of upstream bugs.  Anthony, thank
> > you very much for your work to help fix one of our (mutual) indirect
> > dependencies.
> >
> > Unfortunately the new pydoctor has some DFSG issues (#952546, CC'd).
> >
> > I am hoping that -devel can advise what the conventional approach is
> > to the package containing a sourceless copy of bootstrap.min.js.
> >
> > I'm guessing that the answer is to strip the sourceless file from the
> > package, and have the binary package contain a symlink into the file
> > tree of some other package which contains an appropriate bootstrap
> > file ?  But is this right, and if so which package ?
>
> You don't have to strip it if the unminified version is added under
> debian/missing-sources/ with an appropriate entry in d/copyright.
>
> The final package however should not use it but instead rely on whatever
> package provides bootstrap.js or its minified version.

but if you add the unminified version under debian/missing-sources then it has
to be the exact right version that produces precisely the minified version you
have. I so far found the trouble I have to go through to verify this, is *far*
too much compared to putting a simple Files-Excluded into debian/copyright and
a dversionmangle and repacksuffix into my debian/watch -- especially because I
cannot use the shipped minified version in the end anyways.

Thanks!

cheers, josch