Re: How to undo a merged-user installation?

Hi,

Quoting Guillem Jover (2020-02-18 19:43:53)
>  * If you are using raw debootstrap then just pass that option. Or
>    just switch to use mmdebstrap which does not have a broken default,
>    and is way way faster anyway.

since you mention mmdebstrap, let me add another reason against getting
merged-usr the way that debootstrap does it.

The main reason I wrote mmdebstrap was *not* that it's so much faster or
produces smaller tarballs than debootstrap. My main motivation was, to have a
tool that can be used to experiment with a *package-centric* way of setting up
a Debian rootfs from scratch.

My vision is, that in the far future, we will not need all the knowledge
debootstrap has about how to set up a given distribution but you can just give
a tool a mirror URL and a suite and everything about how to set up the
distribution comes from the packages in the distribution themselves. Whatever
special thing is to be done for distro X is encoded by the packages in distro X
and not in some non-declarative scripts.

Tools like debootstrap break the idea of a component-centric way to assemble
the individual pieces of a distribution by moving stuff that should be declared
in the packages that make up the distribution into the tool building a rootfs
from them. As an example: Even Essential:yes packages themselves could be
installed without some script magic around but by using fully declarative
properties and relationships:
https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/InstallBootstrap

In my opinion, accepting that the deboostrap-like tool has to enable merged-usr
is a step into the wrong direction.

Thanks!

cheers, josch