Re: Is there still a point in installing libgcrypt to /lib instead of /usr/lib

On Feb 15, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:

> True, but there seem to be a relatively high number of systems where an
> old unowned version of some library is lying around under /lib (possibly
> because the dpkg database became corrupted at some point and so dpkg
> forgot about the file; see the dpkg bug #949395), and when that library
> starts be installed under /usr/lib, this will trigger symbol lookup
> errors and the like.  See #896019 and #948318 for examples.
Somebody reported a similar problem about libcrypt.so.1, which moved
from /lib/ (provided by libc) to /usr/lib/ (provided by libxcrypt).

Since libcrypt.so.1 has been in /usr/lib/ for three months now without
any other unexpected issues then I think that we can be very confident
that there is no reason whatsoever to install anything outside of /usr
anymore.

--
ciao,
Marco