Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 09:39:19AM +1100, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> For example, if a certain daemon manifested a condition when a message is
> logged too often, then with Rsyslog I could suppress noise by something like
> the following

This is a workaround for another problem.  Fix the real problem.

> This is just an example (probably not the best one) how feature can be handy
> when it is needed. The point is that you'll only realise that you can't do
> something any more is when you need it the most.

Please show that one Joey Random User who asked how to do that.

> Rsyslog is not broken to be replaced as default logging system.

No-one said it is broken.  But not broken does not mean a random user
needs it.  We try to build a distribution with good defaults that fit
most people, we don't try to build one that specificaly follows your
specific requirements or whishes.

> Finally there were no attempt to seek consensus, no survey, nothing?
> Just a decision of few maintainers to replace good default with their
> preferences?

Sure, there was.  Please look at debian-vote.

> It is difficult to appreciate needless disruptive changes.

Which one?  Do you really consider persistent journal, which this thread
is about, a _disruptive_ change?  Please elaborate.

Bastian

--
	"That unit is a woman."
	"A mass of conflicting impulses."