Re: Y2038 - best way forward in Debian?

On Tue, 2020-02-04 at 13:14 +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> What do people think here? Which do you think is the better path? Feel
> free to point out things you think I may have missed. We should get
> started on this soon - the longer we leave it, the more likely it is
> that we'll see 2038 bugs biting people.

At least for i386, I expect it to be used mostly for legacy
applications (and legacy installations).  So breaking ABI by switching
to a "new" architecture or by just changing major libraries like libc6
probably diminishes its value so much that there would no longer be any
use for it: one could just switch to amd64 instead of i386t.

So maybe just recommend people to move to 64-bit architectures and put
32-bit applications in a time namespace so they believe they are still
in 2001 ;-)  32-bit architectures will probably still be useful in
embedded contexts for a long time and there it might be easier to just
change the ABI, but for a general-purpose distribution we start seeing
more and more problems and I don't really see us supporting them as a
full architecture in 10+ years.

Ansgar