Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

Hi Steve

Am 01.02.20 um 14:36 schrieb Steve McIntyre:
> Michael Biebl wrote:
>>
>> with today's upload of systemd 244.1-2 I finally enabled persistent
>> journal by default [1]. It has been a long requested feature.
>>
>> The package will create a directory /var/log/journal on upgrades and new
>> installs, which enables persistent journal in so called auto mode.
>
> Fine for new installations, but please *don't* do this for
> upgrades. Those people with existing logging setups will be surprised
> by this.

I honestly don't like packages that behave differently depending on
whether they were upgraded or installed anew (given their default
configuration wasn't changed). I assume there would be equally as many
or even more surprised users that find their upgraded system behave
differently then their freshly installed system.

The change here is basically just an update of the default behaviour of
journald. If you explicitly configured a different journald behavior via
Storage=, this is respected. If you already created a /var/log/journal
in the past, the change will be a nop.

Existing sysloggers will continue to work after this change as before,
they are not directly affected by this change.

Can you eloborate more on this what your concerns are here?

I think Didier's idea of documenting this in the release notes is a good
one, so I filed #950447. The NEWS entry is a good idea as well and I
thought about that, but decided to not add it (yet) but instead ask for
feedback on debian-devel first. Depending on the feedback, the content
of that NEWS entry might change. E.g. I was unsure whether I should
mention that a syslogger like rsyslog can now be uninstalled safely, as
the contents are now available in the journal as well. Feedback on this
welcome.

I would also like to mention that there is prior art. Ubuntu made the
switch to a persistent journal a while back and they did it on upgrades
and new installations [1] as well.
I've CCed Dimitri, just in case he wants to chime in here. Maybe he has
some feedback on this transition in Ubuntu.

Regards,
Michael

[1]
https://git.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-dev/ubuntu/+source/systemd/commit/?id=f94f18d9dbc085b6a9ff33c141a6e542142f85b5