Re: Bits from the DPL (August 2019)

On 2019/09/19 11:18, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> I also feel sad cause I saw the enormous efforts of Devuan and Debian
> people as well as the new Sysvinit upstream maintainer to improve the
> quality of sysvinit, startpart, insserv, runit, openrc you name them
> packages and to actually introduce elogind to Debian. The great care,
> the willingness to cooperate, the willing to step over own shadows into
> light… all of this in vain?

FWIW, I don't think any of these efforts are in vain at all. Running
alternative (alternative as in, not the default) init systems on Debian
is easier now than it was when stretch was released. I've been trying
out runit in containers and it seems to be working really well for my
use cases (a lot lighter than systemd and does everything I want it to).
I'm also a bit curious about openrc and tini and either way I think
these are important for our non-linux kernels too (which some people
seem to like snuffing at but they are actually important).

I appreciate the work that all the people have been doing to help
preserve the possibility of having an init system other than systemd,
and I'm sure there are many Debian users who are probably not on this
list that feel the same way.

-Jonathan

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀  Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) <jcc>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Debian Developer - https://wiki.debian.org/highvoltage