Re: Cron, anacron, cronie, systemd-timers

On 09.07.19 09:32, Marc Haber wrote:
> It is good to know where things are going. Would you mind if I created
> a wiki page with this road map laid out about where Debian's cron
> world is going?

Not at all, on the contrary -- thanks for the offer!

> That would, though, only make sense if you could find
> the time to cross-read it and add omissions and point out factual
> errors.

Of course.

>> Over the past couple of years, I've spent a considerable amount of
>> effort in converting the format to source format 3.0 (quilt), but I
>> never quite finished and got distracted with other stuff. Nevertheless,
>> I completed this conversion in February. I'll push it over the next few
>> days (I was just waiting for buster to be released before doing anything
>> drastic).
>
> \o/
>
> It is good to know that there is considerable work going on, most of
> it being on the source code level, which is unfortunately something I
> cannot be helpful because I'm not a sufficiently good C programmer. I
> was not even aware that vixie cron and cronie share a common code base
> that makes such a migration feasible.

There's a lot of non-C stuff that needs to be done, too, in case you're
interested in that?

For example, I'm almost certain by now that the system crontab file and
dirs (/etc/crontab, /etc/cron.*) need to be moved out into a separate
config package so that alternative cron implementations can use them.
Currently, each implementation ships its own crontabs, and switching
between them (eg: switching from cron to bcron) is a pain.

>> My current plan it to move from vixie cron 3.0pl1-134 directly to a
>> (patched) cronie as soon as possible, so that the default daemon can be
>> switched to cronie in time the next release.
>
> Great! That is good to know. Are you using a mailing list for this
> effort that I can subscribe to and see where I can be helpful? Or is
> this mainly a one-man show anyway?

There used to be one until the move to salsa, and I'm ashamed to say I
forgot to opt-in to the migration.

I'll set one up for cronie and then report back to this list.

Regards,
Christian