Re: OpenCL / handling of hardware-specific packages

Hi!

On Mon, 2019-07-01 at 22:59:51 +0100, Rebecca N. Palmer wrote:
> On 01/07/2019 18:10, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> > Please don't do that. This IMHO clearly belongs into the operator's
> > hands
>
> Do you mean "not as long as it would cause the above bugs" or "not ever"?
> If the latter, is it because of wasted storage/bandwidth or something else?
>
> Do you also believe that the existing hardware-related -all packages
> (printer-driver-all(-enforce), va-driver-all, vdpau-driver-all,
> xserver-xorg-input-all, xserver-xorg-video-all) should not exist / should
> not be installed by default?

As long as we do not have an out-of-the-box way to automatically
propose/install hardware-specific packages to match the current system,
the «-all» package pattern is the best we've got, which gives a good
default, but makes it possible to removed unnecessary packages.

> > (or possibly some installer magic).
>
> Do we have such a mechanism?  I agree this would be better if it existed.
>
> The AppStream metadata format includes a field for "hardware this works
> with", and beignet-opencl-icd has one, but I don't know if any existing
> tools use this field.

The closest thing I'm aware of is isenkram, but re-checking it now, it
looks it's now tailored for hot-plugged hardware? Its README contains
interesting information on alternatives and similar solutions. CCed
Petter for further input.

Thanks,
Guillem