Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

On 28.06.19 23:42, Ian Jackson wrote:

>    https://wiki.debian.org/GitPackagingSurvey
>
> Unfortunately due to bugs in the Debian and Wiki CSS styles, it is
> displayed very suboptimally unless you log into the wiki and set your
> style to "Classic".  (I have filed bug reports.)

Very nice work.

For the next stage I think it would be nice to assign some kind of
canonical names for the individual workflows and try to create some
precise documentation.

Once we have that, we could add some machine readable file to the d/
trees stating the exact workflow and possibly extra metadata
(eg. where to find certain repos/branches, etc).

> [1] This does *not* include the one response from a Debian downstream.

Talking about me ? ;-)

> The task of being a Debian downstream is rather different and it
> doesn't make sense to try to represent that in the same table.

I don't think it's so different in that regard. IMHO the only difference
is that I'm not an official debian maintainer and not using buildd.
But I believe the same approach could be used by any actual Debian
maintainer if he just also creates dsc's and pushes them onto buildd.

Maybe it would be better to just differenciate the statistics between
official debian and others (such as downstreams).

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
info@metux.net -- +49-151-27565287