Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format

Ian Jackson writes ("Re: Survey results: git packaging practices / repository format"):
> What it doesn't say is how changes to the upstream files are
> represented.  Can you explain ?

Also: I had hoped that the table's focus on particularly these
questions:
 - representation of changes to upstream files
 - upstream files in the git tree: modified, unmodified, or absent
 - is there debian/patches and what does it contain
would allow you to see which row applies.

Evidently that's not true.

Can you explain to me in your own terminology what is going on, or
explain what was confusing about the page ?

We have, generally, a very serious lack of understanding between
various different people about how all this stuff is done.  I am
trying to bridge these gaps but apparently not yet successfully
enough.

Ian.