Re: Survey: git packaging practices / repository format

Ian Jackson dijo [Tue, May 28, 2019 at 04:51:10PM +0100]:
> While trying to write the dgit FAQ, and some of the relevant docs, it
> has become even more painfully obvious that we lack a good handle on
> what all the different ways are that people use git to do their Debian
> packaging, and what people call these formats/workflows, and what
> tools they use.
>
> Can you please look through the table below and see if I have covered
> everything you do ?

I don't know whether this is relevant to what you are asking, but:

>  Main packaging     Delta from upstream     Tools for manipulating
>   git branch         represented as          delta from upstream,
>   contains                                   building .dsc, etc.
>
>  Unmodified         debian/patches             gbp, gbp pq
>   upstream files,    (only)                    quilt / dquilt
>  plus debian/*                                 Manual patch editing
>  incl. d/patches

This could cover two very IMO different cases -- The git repository
is a clone of the upstream development repository, incorporating its
full development history (and perhaps sharing "existence" with the
upstream development), or the git repository incorporates only the
content of upstream released tarballs (i.e. via gbp / pristine-tar).
The packaging workflow is quite different between those cases.

Greetings,