Re: ZFS in Buster

Jonathan Carter writes ("Re: ZFS in Buster"):
> On 2019/05/28 18:43, Dan wrote:
> > ZFS 0.8 has been released with lots of improvements, notably encryption.
>
> Yep, it's an exciting feature.
>
> > Sadly the Linux Kernel has introduced a commit in kernel 4.19 and 5.0
> > that prevents ZFS from using SIMD. The result is that ZFS won't be
> > usable in Buster. See the following issue
> > https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/8793
>
> Buster ships zfs-dkms version 0.7.12-2 though, which works just fine on
> buster.

Of course it's in contrib, and not properly part of Debian.

> > NixOS reverted that particular commit:
> > https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NixOS-Linux-5.0-ZFS-FPU-Drop
> > Would it be possible to provide an alternative patched linux kernel
> > that works with ZFS?

I think this would be both unwise legally (without seeking additional
legal advice) and rather rude to the kernel upstream whose code is
then being reused without permission - indeed, contrary to their
explicitly stated intent.

We alread sought legal advice, with resulted in the halfway-house that
we can ship ZFS in contrib.

Ian.