Re: Debhelper compat levels

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 04:53:57PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> >> So in order to do the backport, I first had to get debhelper 11 (or 12).
> >
> >You make it sound so hard, but in my own experience it really isn't.
>
> I totally feel with Simon, especially in the later part of a stable
> release backporting becomes a pain in the butt because so many
> toolchain packages don't backport nicely.

I agree that some packages (and, sometimes, whole chain of packages)
can be hard to backport due to debhelper compat changes, but really,
this is not the case of debhelper itself here (which is the topic of the
discussion).

And if a given packages is giving derivatives or 3rd parties troubles in
backporting, that should be brought up with that single package's
maintainer, gently asking to revert back to a previous compat level or
something to ease the situation.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo