Re: NMUs: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH

Quoting Scott Kitterman (2019-05-15 04:47:48)

> On May 15, 2019 1:13:52 AM UTC, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> >On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 2:31 AM Sam Hartman wrote:
> >
> >> How do we feel about people making build system conversions when
> >> those conversion make it easier to fix some other bug that they are
> >> fixing as part of an NMU?
> >
> >If the maintainer is MIA enough to not express an opinion when asked
> >if adding a dh conversion to the NMU is fine, probably the package
> >should be orphaned/salvaged instead of NMUed, which would bring the
> >dh conversion into scope.
>
> I'd think the timeline for that would be longer than the week or two
> it takes to do an NMU.

Yes the timeline of an NMU being short is the very issue as I see it:
Switching build system may be easy to do but less easy to maintain for
the maintainer - regardless of popularity in general.

No, major package refactoring like change of build system is
unacceptable in NMUs, because it strongly affects long-term maintenance.

Real underlying question seems instead to be this:

Do we tolerate maintainers using a "wrong" packaging style - i.e. an
unpopular style fewer find easy to do NMUs for?

Yes, let's recommend what is popular.  But not this.

 - Jonas