Re: NMUs: Do we want to Require or Recommend DH

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 02:30:52PM -0400, Sam Hartman wrote:
> How do we feel about people making build system conversions when those
> conversion make it easier to fix some other bug that they are fixing as
> part of an NMU?

What happens if the maintainer dislikes the change?

The maintainer clearly has the right to revert such an NMU,
and the opinion about the NMU expressed in the changelog or
elsewhere might not be friendly.

There might be cases where it is appropriate, but I wouldn't issue
a general recommendation to do build system conversions in NMUs.

> That is, imagine that a package is mishandling the combination of
> systemd units and an init script.  As someone preparing an NMU, is it
> reasonable to move to dh compat 12 from some other build system if I
> believe doing so will make it easier for me to fix the bug and verify
> the fix?

Doing a build system conversion properly requires first understanding
what the old build system did, and later verifying that the changes
didn't break anything.

It might bring long-term benefits, but if anyone claims that for an NMU
this is easier than a minimal fix I strongly suspect it is only easy due
to lack of diligence.

> --Sam

cu
Adrian