Re: .deb format: let's use 0.939, zstd, drop bzip2

On May 8, 2019 9:43:50 PM UTC, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:

>I just checked Stretch: not a single .bz2, either control nor data.
>I'm not
>going to download all of Jessie just to check -- but even assuming
>something
>was left by Jessie's time, by Bullseye trying to install such a .deb
>will
>mean mixing packages 3 releases apart.

dpkg-deb is used to examine debs too, and considering Jessie is still LTS and Wheezy is ELTS, you may well want to examine packages from several releases ago on a current system. I have a weird case at work where I need to examine packages from as far back as Sarge and Etch through Buster, but I'd fully understand not supporting that.

Some local packages can be long-lived, too. E.g., at work I have one that installs an internal CA. That package hasn't needed changing in a while, it drops a file and calls update-ca-certificates. Wouldn't be a huge deal to rebuild it, of course.