Re: .deb format: let's use 0.939, zstd, drop bzip2

On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 07:37:55AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 1:38 AM Adam Borowski wrote:

Thus, even though we'd want to stick with xz for the official archive, speed
gains from zstd are so massive that it's tempting to add support for it,
at least for non-official uses, possibly also for common Build-Depends.

Could we use custom zstd dictionaries on a per-architecture basis to
further reduce the size of zstd packages, possibly allowing it to beat
xz?

In theory, sure. Have any test results? My gut tells me that wouldn't buy much but numbers matter more.