Re: Preferred git branch structure when upstream moves from tarballs to git

On 29 Apr 2019, Gard Spreemann wrote:

>For one of my packages, I maintain two public git branches: one is
>upstream/latest, where I've been importing upstream's released tarballs,
>and the other is debian/sid that contains the packaging.
>
>Recently, upstream has finally started using git. What is the
>recommended way for me to maintain a sane branch structure for the
>packaging repository while starting to use upstream's git master as the
>upstream branch to follow?

I don't know about recommended, but even though the projects I maintain
have git repositories themselves, I only sync their released tarballs.
For that, I use git-buildpackage and uscan, more specifically, gbp
import-orig --uscan [1], which automatically creates a branch structure
similar to yours.

As far as I know, you are not required to use git-buildpackage, nor to
sync only from released tarballs, but the link below has some guidance
on how to sync from upstream repositories, so I hope that helps.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit#Importing_upstream_as_tarballs-1

>(My first thought is to track upstream's master as upstream/latest-git
>or something, and start merging from that into debian/sid, but I don't
>know if there's a better way.)

The link above describes a very similar approach.