Re: Is screenshots.debian.net at risk?

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 12:13:37PM +0100, Christoph Haas wrote:
> Fellow devs,
>
> bear with me if the topic of the upcoming european copyright law (aka
> §13) has been discussed in other mailing lists. As being responsible for
> screenshots.debian.net I honestly am a bit worried about the
> implications. As usual??? IANAL.
>
> Management summary: screenshots.debian.net is a web site that I
> developed many many years ago and which is since then providing
> user-generated screenshots for applications we manage in Debian.
> Everyone can upload screenshots which are then moderated by pabs and me
> before being published. We try to take care that screenshots of non-free
> packages are not published to avoid copyright issues. And we claim to
> publish screenshots under the same license as the software itself is
> published. This has been the consensus after discussions on this list
> ~10 years ago. Screenshots can be browsed and searched at
> https://screenshots.debian.net/ and are also directly linked to from a
> lot of web sites like packages.debian.net or packages.ubuntu.com. The
> site currently provides 8500 screenshots, has a pretty good uptime and
> according to the web server stats gets a good amount of requests.
>
> I am not only bringing this topic up because there will be a large
> amount of rallies today (at least in Germany) and the topic is very hot.
> The main reason is that I am working on an updated version of the web
> site that will have a revised moderation workflow. pabs suggested that
> we should allow all DDs to freely upload screenshots. That is already
> implemented in the upcoming version and will be handled by our valued
> sso.debian.net client certificates. That of course would mean that DDs
> have to take care of copyright problems when uploading stuff.
>
> A further idea of me is to allow everyone to use SSO providers like
> Launchpad, Stackexchange, Google, Amazon and Github. I was considering a
> system where users would have to upload a certain number of "good
> screenshots" before being allowed to upload freely. I hoped to attract
> more people to upload screenshots without the hassle and delay of going
> through moderation. pabs and I discussed whether it's worth doing that.
> Will there really be so much more user content that it's worth allowing
> that?
>
> Most of us are not lawyers so it may be hard to dig out the ultimate
> truth. But I am personally worried because the server is run under my
> name and I would not like to get into personal trouble while running a
> platform that is providing user-generated content. Because that's what
> all the EU law fuss is currently about.
>
> I would welcome your thoughts on that. Thanks.

I'm in a simular situation. I do provide servers with wikis to local
user groups. Every person smart enough to register an account upload
whatever they please.

Do I go implement "filters"?    No.

Do I go shutdown the various wikis?    No.

Do I think that "EU article 13" will harm the libre Internet?   Yes

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
Leven en laten leven