Re: How to deal with meaningless SOVERSION bumps from upstream?

* Sam Hartman:

> There's fairly significant advantages to keeping ABI consistent with
> upstream when possible.
> So, unless the Debian ABI has diverged from upstream already, I'd
> recommend that you track the soname change and accept the rebuilds
> post-buster.

It's possible to support both sonames using a symbolic link.  ld.so
will only load the library once, adding the other soname as an alias.

The question then becomes which should be the default.  Probably the
newer one, for the reason you outlined.