Re: Rebuilding the entire Debian archive twice on arm64 hardware for fun and proft

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 11:46:41PM +0000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 8, 2019, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:
>
> > .
> >
> > Note that Firefox is built with --no-keep-memory
> > --reduce-memory-overheads, and that was still not enough for 32-bts
> > builds. GNU gold instead of BFD ld was also given a shot. That didn't
> > work either. Presently, to make things link at all on 32-bits platforms,
> > debug info is entirely disabled. I still need to figure out what minimal
> > debug info can be enabled without incurring too much memory usage
> > during linking.
>

> Dang. Yes, removing debug symbols was the only way I could get webkit to
> link without thrashing, it's a temporary fix though.
>
> So the removal of the algorithm in ld Dr Stallman wrote, dating back to the
> 1990s, has already resulted in a situation that's worse than I feared.
>
> At some point apps are going to become so insanely large that not even
> disabling debug info will help.

That's less likely, I'd say. Debug info *is* getting incredibly more and
more complex for the same amount of executable weight, and linking that
is making things worse and worse. But having enough code to actually be
a problem without debug info is probably not so close.

There are solutions to still keep full debug info, but the Debian
packaging side doesn't support that presently: using split-dwarf. It
would probably be worth investing in supporting that.

Mike