Re: requirements and regulations concerning upgrade checks/statistics callback on program start

On Sun, Dec 29, 2019 at 12:42 AM Robie Basak wrote:

> I file serious bugs when I discover this kind of behaviour in Debian
> packages. I've come across this only twice, but I've never spent time
> actually looking, so perhaps there are many more?

I expect there are quite a few more, some listed on the wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/PrivacyIssues

> I was unable to find anything in policy either, but I take the position
> that, if asked, Debian developers are likely to take a similar position,
> and it has just never come up because maintainers haven't (as far as I'm
> aware) objected to treating this behaviour as a serious bug. Has any
> maintainer specifically objected?

Please document objections on the wiki page if you see them.

> Here are mine:

I have added these to the privacy usertag:

$ bts user debian-devel@lists.debian.org , usertags 778947 + privacy
$ bts user debian-devel@lists.debian.org , usertags 935042 + privacy

https://wiki.debian.org/PrivacyIssues#Reports

--