Re: requirements and regulations concerning upgrade checks/statistics callback on program start

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019 at 6:01 AM Norbert Preining wrote:

> Upstream states clearly what he is collecting, and the rest is obvious
> because displayed on start. No magic necessary.
> Also no hidden stuff, all is clearly stated and open.

That sounds reasonable then.

> What do you mean with "informed consent and correct behaviour"?

I would expect something like this: in the user interface (help menu
perhaps, or on first start), have a button "send usage feedback" (or
similar) that when pressed displays a page containing the exact data
set that is proposed to be sent, what other information is captured
(or expressly not captured) by the server (IP address etc if anything)
in the sending process, list information about what all that
information is used for (with a link to the stats etc) and buttons for
confirming sending the data and for cancelling sending.

> Would a clear statement in the NEWS file be enough?

That is unlikely to reach all users of the package, but would be
helpful if the data collection is opt-out rather than opt-in.

> I read through that case and I consider it quite different. In the Cura
> case quite a lot of information where sent, while in the Calibre case
> there is only a random ID, the OS (no specifics, just
> Linux/Windows/Mac), and the iconset selected (if any) which has
> influence only on the order of selectable iconsets in the menu ;-)
>
> No information about the library (not even the number of books).

Indeed, sounds fairly different. Is there any information about what
the random ID is, how it is generated and if it gets copied around in
sync scenarios?

--
bye,
pabs