Re: requirements and regulations concerning upgrade checks/statistics callback on program start

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 12:41:34PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> All of those activities are problematic, because they leak privacy.
>
> First point is useless for packaged software and the code should be
> patched to skip it.
>
> Second point is ideally useless as well, because plugins should be
> packaged as well.
>
> Third point is, for the user, useless as well.

A good part of plugins won't ever be packaged.  I have a strong opinion
about privacy, but security is also a concern.

Thus, I'd suggest a policy like:

A program may auto-update its plugins/etc only if a given origin has
been enabled; installing something from an origin may be considered by
default to be a consent to check for further updates from that origin.

For example, this is the behaviour of Apt: it enables by default
origin=Debian (or Ubuntu, Devuan, Mint...) if you install from that
distribution's media, plus any explicitly added apt sources.

For Firefox, it'd mean that polling for updates from mozilla.org should
(absent a non-default configuration to the contrary) be done if there's
at least one non-packaged extension installed.

> I recommend to patch to disable all three mechanisms.
>
> ...but that's not what you asked about.
>
> I don't think Debian forbid privacy-leaky behaviours.

Aye, I say we should add this at least to the Policy -- if not the Social
Contract.  I believe the Dissident's Test should apply to not just licenses,
but also to building and running packaged software.

> If you choose to not voluntarily disable these mechanisms for the Debian
> packaging, then at least consider mention explicitly these behaviours in
> long description, and list them at https://wiki.debian.org/PrivacyIssues

+1

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ A MAP07 (Dead Simple) raspberry tincture recipe: 0.5l 95% alcohol,
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ 1kg raspberries, 0.4kg sugar; put into a big jar for 1 month.