Re: requirements and regulations concerning upgrade checks/statistics callback on program start

Hi Jonas,

thanks for the insightful comments!

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> First point is useless for packaged software and the code should be
> patched to skip it.

Agreed, and that is my plan.

> Second point is ideally useless as well, because plugins should be
> packaged as well.

Well, they aren't, and will never be packaged (unless someone steps in).
So getting notified of updates - possible of security issues - is in
principle a good point.

> Third point is, for the user, useless as well.

Jein (as we say). Indirect it might be useful to increase the number of
linux users in the statistics, and thus also the valuation and support
of the linux platform. So there is a - I agree rather diffuse - use.

> ...but that's not what you asked about.

Good point.

> If you choose to not voluntarily disable these mechanisms for the Debian
> packaging, then at least consider mention explicitly these behaviours in
> long description, and list them at https://wiki.debian.org/PrivacyIssues

Sounds like a good plan. I looked into this page and saw basex, which
does exactly one of the above checking for upstream versions. That is in
fact the most useless point IMNSHO, as it does not help the user to get
a newer version.

Thanks for for your comments

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev