Re: epoch bump request for protracker

Hello Gürkan Myczko,

On Mon, Dec 23, 2019 at 06:32:15AM +0100, Gürkan Myczko wrote:
> Emailing only debian-devel, replies with cc to me please.
>
> protracker [1], version 2.b37-1 now release a non-beta version called 1.01.
> Instead of permanently using 2.b37+really1.01, I'd go for
> 1:1.01, and renaming protracker to pt2-clone [2] (as upstream calls it) (the
> source+bin
> pkg rename at a later time)
>
> So is it appropriate to bump an epoch in Debian to fix the versioning of
> protracker?

Upstream renaming is a very rare (and AFAIK *only*) chance for you to
actually get rid of epochs cleanly! I'd very much suggest you take this
chance!

Basically what you do is rename everything and use the new version
number, then you add transitional packages and for those you override
version number generation in debian/rules and add an epoch *only* to the
transitional packages.

Once your package has shipped in a stable release, you can drop the
transitional packages and the debian/rules override for them.

eg.

include /usr/share/dpkg/pkg-info.mk

override_dh_gencontrol:
	dh_gencontrol -pmy-transitional-package -- -v1:$(DEB_VERSION)
	dh_gencontrol --remaining-packages

for more examples see:
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=dh_gencontrol.*-p.*-v.*%3A&literal=0

> Kind regards,