Re: RFP: lintian-sort -- reproducibly sort the Lintian tool's output

On Fri, Dec 06, 2019 at 10:30:28PM -0800, Felix Lechner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > The lintian-sort tool reorders the messages reported by the lintian(1)
> > Debian package analysis tool so that they are kept in the same order
> > between successive builds.
>
> > Wouldn't it be much better to apply this change to lintian itself?
>
> Lintian now orders tags before printing. That resolves the most
> relevant feature requested here. The output was already deterministic,
> but depended on the order in which checks that had been sorted were
> run:
>
>     https://bugs.debian.org/944807
>
> This is the Lintian commit message:
>
>     https://salsa.debian.org/lintian/lintian/commit/e0f76bdd6bf57d84ba2e7b478973ddc8b84df950
>
> Besides the bug in Lintian, this message also closes an RFP bug that
> had been cloned. Please re-open the RFP bug if we still need a second
> tool.
>
> To help make Lintian better, please file merge requests on Salsa. Thanks!

Thanks a lot for this e-mail and for doing the work on Lintian, as well
as all your (team's) other work on Lintian!

I actually saw the Lintian change (I have it pinned to unstable in my
APT preferences), and I dropped lintian-sort from my Debian packaging
workflow (the scripts I run after each package build), but I plain
forgot that I had also filed an ITP bug and even a bug against
Lintian... sorry about that, and thanks for noticing/remembering!
You were indeed quite right to close both.

Keep up the great work!

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@{ringlet.net,debian.org,FreeBSD.org} pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13