Re: difficulty in understanding options in init-system-GR

Marco d'Itri - 07.12.19, 11:45:36 CET:
> On Dec 07, Mo Zhou <lumin@debian.org> wrote:
> > The rest options, i.e. B A D H G, look nearly the same to me:
> >   "first tier support for systemd, second tier for others"
> >
> > The only difference I noted is the bug severity for non-systemd
> > support.
> >
> > In which way(s) are options (B, A, D, H, G) different from each
> > other? A couple of keywords should be helpful enough to
> > differentiate them.
> They go from more systemd support to less systemd support in that
> order, and there are actually big practical differences.
> But I need to be clear: only choices 1 (B) and 2 (A) will allow Debian
> to progress like the other major distributions without being hindered
> by trying to support other init systems which are used/maintained by
> an handful of people.

I think you crossed the line between explaining the options and… trying
to influence the choice of someone else by stating your opinion as a
fact.

I strongly recommend you to stay away of trying to influence the choice
of someone else like this. State your own preference as much as you'd
like to, as *your* *own* preference, not as a fact.

I stayed away from the discussion on debian-vote, as I am no Debian
developer and thus have no right to make an election here. Nor do I
claim or request to have one. I just maintain a package which since a
long time supports both Systemd and Sysvinit – on implementing the
Sysvinit support I learned how to improve the Systemd support as well. I
intend to watch the outcome of this election and then decide upon
consequences I'd draw from it regarding my engagement for Debian.

I still believe this whole GR may not serve Debian as a project, but I
let go on arguing about that.

Thanks,
--
Martin