Re: About license compatibility

Hi,

Disclaimer: the canonical answer to license issues should be given by debian-
legal mailing list (https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal). There might be
errors in my words below.

在 2019-12-06五的 00:10 +0900,JungHwan Kang写道:
> Hi, Debian forks.
> I know Debian has GPLv2.

My personal understanding is that "Debian" is never ever specifically released
under certain license ("GPLv2" or anything else). I have never heard of the
saying that "Debian is under GPLv2" or "Debian has GPLv2". Debian is made up
of tens of thousands of individual packages and each package has its own
license recorded in debian/copyright file and you may find that file as
/usr/share/doc/<packagename>/copyright when the package is installed on your
system.

> There are many packages having a different license in the Debian
> distribution.
> How to resolve a conflict between licenses to specify GPLv2?
> For instance, GPLv2 & GPLv3 are incompatible.

I never heard that GPLv2 license and GPLv3 license are incompatible.

The real example of incompatibility should be OpenSSL and GPL (
https://people.gnome.org/~markmc/openssl-and-the-gpl.html) or GPL and CDDL (
https://lwn.net/Articles/687550/). Debian is aware of those issues and these
issues have been taken care of already.

--