Re: libraries depending on interpreters

> On 17 Nov 2019, at 22:39, Niko Tyni <ntyni@debian.org> wrote:
>
> - for PHP, there apparently used be a draft policy but it's gone with Alioth now.
>  The remnants I could find [5] don't mention package dependencies. Looking at the
>  archive, I see pretty much uniform dependencies on php-common, apparently for
>  enabling the module in the maintainer scripts. These dependencies do not
>  pull in the actual PHP interpreter.

The php-common dependency is for C modules (PECL) and is mostly generated by dh-php.
There was a circular dependency before that I managed to unbreak.  It’s little bit weird, but
it works.

The PEAR and code in PHP should generally depend on:

- php - if it’s a web app
- php-cli - if it’s a console app

The „php-cli“ gets usually pulled with „php“ (whatever satisfies the meta package dependency).

But I never packaged PHP applications myself, I just made sure the transitions between PHP
versions are mostly smooth in Debian (packaging stuff, not language itself…).

- There’s an obscure embedded PHP, but people using it know how to depend on it

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý
ondrej@sury.org