Re: Python 2 removal in sid/bullseye: Progress and next steps

Hi Mo,

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019, Mo Zhou wrote:
> How many users still use these unmaintained scripts? Could you please
> provide us a reference/estimated popcon so we can better understand the
> situation of texlive in terms of py2rm.

Popcon does not help, since these scripts are part of a huge collection,
and on the TL side we do not do any tracking at all (we could, since the
TeX Live Manager tlmgr could be asked to track what is installed), we
have not even the slightest ideas about what is actually in use. But for
examples latex-make is still Py2, and is generally in use.

I checked all the scripts I could find, see below, so the situation is
not bad at all, at least in plane numbers.

Best

Norbert

(relatives to texmf-dist/scripts/)

changes/pyMergeChanges.py
	already py3, needs shebang
de-macro/de-macro
	py2 only
dviasm/dviasm.py
	py2
ebong/ebong.py
	only py2
latex-make/
	unclear
	latex-make/figdepth.py
	latex-make/gensubfig.py
	latex-make/latexfilter.py
	latex-make/svg2dev.py
	latex-make/svgdepth.py
latex-papersize/latex-papersize.py
	py2
lilyglyphs/
	py2 only
	lilyglyphs/lily-glyph-commands.py
	lilyglyphs/lily-image-commands.py
	lilyglyphs/lily-rebuild-pdfs.py
	lilyglyphs/lilyglyphs_common.py
pdfbook2/pdfbook2
	py2
pgfplots/pgfplots.py
	unclear
pygmentex/pygmentex.py
	unclear, probably only Py2
pythontex/
	there are py3 versions, but defaults seems to be py2
	pythontex/depythontex.py
	pythontex/depythontex2.py
	pythontex/depythontex3.py
	pythontex/pythontex.py
	pythontex/pythontex2.py
	pythontex/pythontex3.py
	pythontex/pythontex_engines.py
	pythontex/pythontex_2to3.py
	pythontex/pythontex_install.py
	pythontex/pythontex_utils.py
sympytexpackage/sympytex.py
	unclear
texliveonfly/texliveonfly.py
	should work with py3, but needs new shebang
webquiz/*
	already py3

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev