Re: Python 2 removal in sid/bullseye: Progress and next steps

Hi, I'm going to answer, even if I'm not Ondrej :)

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 12:10:32AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2019, Ondřej Nový wrote:
> > We are going to raise the severity of the py2removal bugs to "serious"
> > in several steps.  In the
>
> Could you please give a time line of how you are planning to proceed?
> The next Debian release is still about 1.5 years away (extrapolating
> from the last N releases), so I don't see any extreme urgency to purge
> Debian from Py2 packages *now* at a time when it is even still
> supported?
>
> Do you have any timeline? Plans beside "...we are going to raise
> ...remove..."?
>
> I would strongly suggest to wait till january at least to start this process,
> upstream authors might wait till the last moment ...

I don't know about which particular timeline they were thinking about,
but I honestly hope they start already.
Sure, we are already at nearly half of the process, but now start the
much more complex cases.  Starting from leaf packages right now only
makes sense, it will take weeks to just start crawling the tree anyway.

> > We will also then file bug reports against ftp.debian.org to remove
> > such packages from unstable.  We are going to do this semi-
>
> I think requesting the removal of packages that you are **not**
> maintaining is - to be polite - a bit unconventional (at least).
> This remains at the discretion of the maintainer as far as I remember.

That's not true.  RoQA have been used for years, and from what I could
see of the flow of RM bugs related to python2, quite a bit were already
done like that.
It might be unpolite at times, sure, but that's not really an excuse.

Anyway, if you properly maintain your packages, and you maintain
non-leaf packages you need not worry; if you maintain leaf packages, at
least share in the py2removal bugs your plans.  That ought to stop
people from removing your packages, even if it won't stop them to raise
the severity to RC when the time comes.

> > All dependency fields in debian/control and debian/tests/control must
> > also be updated to stop using the unversioned python
>
> Are all you "must" statements "policy decisions"? Or your personal wish
> list items?

They are "policy decisions" as in, "python policy" (even the package is
not yet updated).  Dependencies are already being automatically changed
by dh-python.  If there is one thing sure for bullseye, the
/usr/bin/python symlink won't be shipped.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

More about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :