dpkg sysusers and file metadata (was Re: Integration with systemd)

Hi!

On Fri, 2019-11-01 at 11:36:19 +0000, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 17:51:28 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > I think we should adopt sysusers.d fragments as the preferred mechanism
> > for creating system users
>
> I have been tempted to write a small reimplementation of systemd-sysusers
> suitable for init-less containers and sysvinit systems, so that we can
> rely on its declarative syntax even on non-systemd systems - even though
> I use systemd myself and am happy with it as my init system, so it's
> entirely possible that I would never *use* the reimplementation.

I guess I'll need to prioritize implementing
<https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/SysUser>.

> I've vaguely considered the same thing for tmpfiles.d, although a full
> reimplementation of tmpfiles.d is somewhat more difficult because it's
> more featureful.

And part of this would be covered too by
<https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/Spec/MetadataTracking>, which is
currently blocked by packages accessing the dpkg database, where I
need to sit down and file bugs. :/

> > And presumably you would instead propose banning use of systemd-sysusers
> > and sysusers.d and requiring continuing to use adduser from maintainer
> > scripts as we currently do.  I would object because to me that's obviously
> > inferior to a declarative syntax.
>
> Whether declarative or imperative, it's also Debian-specific - which
> I think is not *necessarily* a problem, but runs a risk of becoming an
> instance of this frequent anti-pattern:

In this case (or parts of it), these are in the realm of dpkg and its
handling of the filesystem.

Thanks,
Guillem