Re: RFC: How about using MRs to communicate the diffs for NMUs with an MR

    Sean> Hello,
    Sean> On Thu 31 Oct 2019 at 12:00PM +01, Gert Wollny wrote:

    >> "Then, you either prepare the NMU in a fork of the original
    >> packaging repository and submit a merge request referencing the
    >> bug you are fixing, or send a patch containing the differences
    >> between the current package and your proposed NMU to the BTS."

    Sean> I'd like to suggest that the nmudiff in the BTS remain the
    Sean> method mentioned first, and then you could append "... or if
    Sean> the maintainer has enabled MRs for their repo and your changes
    Sean> are based on that repo, you can submit a MR instead."

What sean proposes is consistent with our consensus in Git Packaging
Round 1.
In particular, in that discussion round, we concluded that when
maintainers have enabled MRs on their repository, that's a reasonable
way to communicate changes to them.
The BTS always remains a reasonable way to communicate changes as well.

I guess you're expanding that slightly by expanding to cover NMUs
specifically.
However, NMUs are such a common class of change, I think we were all
considering that as a possibility when we had that discussion.

I think it would be great to get this documented.

--Sam