Re: Integration with systemd

Simon McVittie writes:
> On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 at 17:51:28 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> I think we should adopt sysusers.d fragments as the preferred mechanism
>> for creating system users
>
> I have been tempted to write a small reimplementation of systemd-sysusers
> suitable for init-less containers and sysvinit systems, so that we can
> rely on its declarative syntax even on non-systemd systems - even though
> I use systemd myself and am happy with it as my init system, so it's
> entirely possible that I would never *use* the reimplementation.

I think splitting out services that are useful in environments without
an init system installed, such as sysusers, might be useful.

Possibly also tmpfiles, but without an init system nothing would start
the service and it would have to be invoked manually.  Maintainer
scripts might use it though to setup directories in /var/lib or similar
locations.

I think we should agree that using them is okay before considering to
split them into a separate package from systemd.

> I've vaguely considered the same thing for tmpfiles.d, although a full
> reimplementation of tmpfiles.d is somewhat more difficult because it's
> more featureful.

There is already an alternative implementation for tmpfiles.d:

    https://github.com/OpenRC/opentmpfiles

I don't know more than that it exists though.

Ansgar