Re: tomcat9 using systemd specific stuff is now vendor lock-in [was: BITS from the DPL For September/October 2019]

On Nov 01, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

> Instead of using well understood parameters to adduser, which we've been
> using for decades, and understand well the parameters, systemd provides
Personally I never remember the exact semantics of many adduser/addgroup
parameters and I have to double check them every time, YMMV.

> The question is, why is systemd-sysusers part of just systemd, and not
> packaged / shipped somewhere else? This really looks like something that
The simple answer is "because nobody else actually did that elsewhere".

> could be taken away from systemd itself, and proposed as a separate
> tool, in a general way, so that other init system could use it. To the
> point that, IMO, even upstream should have separate it from systemd
> itself (in another project?).
Upstream has no reason to do this, since upstream likes to share code
among these programgs.
The people who care about not using systemd should bother forking and
packaging it standalone.

> maintainer. I have to admin that I wrote my own tooling around adduser /
> addgroup / getend / usermod, but considering how many traps there,
LOL: "well understood", indeed.

> probably a more generic tooling should have been written and generalized
> for all of Debian.
And thankfully now we have one, also available in all other relevant
distributions.

--
ciao,
Marco