Re: Integration with systemd

On Thu, Oct 31, 2019 at 01:19:56PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> alienate me away from Debian. This laptop, for the sake of packaging
> flexible I/O tester, is the last of my machines still running on Debian.
> All the others are running Devuan. I am not looking back. I have no
> intention what so ever to switch back to Systemd again. For that reason
> I for example use unbound instead of knot-resolver. Cause I still have a
> choice which upstream projects to choose. If I would not be able to run
> Debian with sysvinit or runit in the end I might also drop my packaging
> and at least some other contributions to Debian at one point in time.

I think there was mis-undrestanding about what I was trying to say.
My basic premise is that we can't *force* people to work on
technology.  Debian is a volunteer organization.  So we can't force
people to work on improving elogind.

However, that's *different* from adopting new dependencies on systemd
as part of Debian packaging or core Debian packages.  If KDE or GNOME
wants to add new systemd dependencies, that's GNOME's or KDE's
decision.  But if Debian decides to do something which makes it harder
for sysvinit, we need to think ***really** hard about whether it's
worth it, and I would claim the default answer is we shouldn't make
the change unless there are darned good reasons to do so.

It may be that sysvinit is doomed.  But we shouldn't be accelerating
the process.

						- Ted