Re: Cron, anacron, cronie, systemd-timers

Hi Marc,

it took me a while to get into gears again...

I just pushed a branch ckk/sf3 that contains my "release candidate" for
src:cron converted to source format 3.0 (quilt).

The unpacked source is identical to the 1.0 unpacked source, and
unapplying all patches results in a source identical to the original
tarball. So the result is clean.

I'm calling it "release candidate" because it did result in dozens of
patches (extracted from decades of commits), and I cannot rule out the
possibility that I screwed up one or the other. I'd like to give a
chance for review.

I'm quite confident that they are OK though, as I've been through this
process three times now (after dropping the ball twice).

On 24.07.19 21:01, Marc Haber wrote:
> I have also created a Wiki page in the cron salsa project outlining
> what needs to be done. https://salsa.debian.org/debian/cron/wikis/home

I updated the page with a more detailed motivation as to why I think the
switch to cronie is necessary, and also slightly updated the TODOs.

> Would it be possible that you push your changes to cron and cronie to
> branches on salsa or fork the projects so that your work becomes
> visible?

The branch has been pushed, so the work is public now. I plan to merge
these branches into master in a month or so, to give time for public
review (there have been offers in the past).

The next step would be to set up a mailing list (I need to read up on
that), and to start pushing our fixes to cronie upstream.

Christian