Re: Bits from the DPL (August 2019)

Hi,

On 2019-09-23 23:29, Sam Hartman wrote:
>     Samuel> I'm not saying maintainers should spend time on maintaining
>     Samuel> init files etc. but at least leave room for people who want
>
> Obviously if we had a vote the project could choose to agree with you or
> not.

FYI, two important things to mention for current non-systemd Debian
users:

In Jan or Feb 2019 I did a lot of tests in virtualbox to switch from
systemd to sysvinit (or openrc). Init switching is still working well,
but apparently, services of which maintainers had decided to drop
the non-systemd support were somewhat out-of-control. For example,
the systemd-only ZFS package won't automatically mount ZFS pools
on boot by starting the corresponding services. That said, the
most important services were still within control.

For desktop users, non-systemd init plus a mordern desktop environment
such as Plasma or Gnome would be impossible on Debian, as they depend on
systemd. Some other distro such as Gentoo and FreeBSD have somehow
removed the systemd dependency for Gnome but I'm sure how much amount
of patchwork is required.

With that being said, I still agree with Samuel. If there would be a
vote, I'd vote for the anti-systemd-monopoly side.