Re: Possible doc package side-effect from going source-only upload

Hi!

On Thu, 2019-09-19 at 07:15:43 -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> So presumably the dependency graph within debian/rules is wrong.  Would
> anybody here know
>
>   - either a failsafe idiom forcing the right thing to happen
>   - or a more efficient way
>
> to ensure the binary-arch is built before binary-all?  Should I force it? Is
> that wasteful?  Is there a recommended way?

I've just skimmed over the rules, but I indeed see several problematic
constructs there:

  - «build: build-arch» that should include build-indep too.
  - install-arch has build-arch as a dependency, but install-indep
    has make-indep, this seems inconsitent and possibly wrong.
  - Some of the prerequisites are not protected behind stamp files, so
    they will get executed multiple times, which seems counter to using
    stamp files (although I find stamp files to be somewhat of an
    anti-pattern :). Stuff like:

      barrier: prereq-1 barrier
      barrier-stamp:

    but this is in a way covered already by the next point.
  - It seems generally parallel unsafe, as many targets declare what
    should be serially executed as parallely-executed, as in:

      target: prereq-a prereq-b

    can execute both prereqs at the same time. The way to serialize
    them is:

      prereq-1: prereq-2
      target: prereq-1

Not sure whether fixing all the above will fix your problem, but this
is something that should be done non the less IMO. :)

Thanks,
Guillem