Re: Git Packaging Round 2: SHOULD Not or MUSt NOT Github

Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:
> On 9/14/19 1:03 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:
>> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:

>>> Sorry, WHAAAT ? That's shocking to read this from the DPL.  Are you
>>> sure you didn't do a mistake in this sentence?

>>> There's absolutely no problem within the Debian project to forbid
>>> using non-free software.

>> I use a computer with non-free firmware

> This has nothing to do with what I wrote, and you know it.

I don't know anything of the sort.  I do my Debian development on a host
running non-free software.  You said, right up above, that within the
Debian project we should forbid using non-free software.  Maybe that's not
what you *meant*, but that's what you *said*.

>> and push my packaging repositories
>> to (among other places) GitHub.

> As long as you push to Github *for yourself* (ie: not in order to share
> the repository with other people form the Debian community),

I use GitHub to share with anyone who uses GitHub.  I don't make them sign
some sort of statement saying they're not members of the Debian community
before they're allowed to use GitHub.  If other people in Debian want to
use GitHub rather than Salsa or my own Git server to clone my packages or
even to submit PRs, I don't care, and am happy to take contributions from
all of those channels.

If you weren't intending to challenge that, that's fine, but what you said
is that this should be forbidden, and that doesn't make sense to me.

> that's fine. But forcing it to others is not acceptable.

We have more agreement here, although there are a lot of details hidden in
what "forcing" really means.  But there's a huge space between "don't
force other people to use non-free software to contribute to Debian" and
"forbid using non-free software within the Debian project."

I feel like I can say with a very high degree of confidence that we're not
going to do the latter.  For instance, we're not going to stop using Intel
and AMD processors in the Debian project, even though they are full of
non-free software.  So whatever policy stance you're aiming for here needs
to be a lot more nuanced than how you're presenting it.