Re: Git Packaging: Native source formats

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 16:25:35 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Simon McVittie writes ("Re: Git Packaging: Native source formats"):
> > for
> > version 1.0 source packages, detecting a non-native version with a native
> > source format is the only way to generate any sort of warning about this.
>
> This is a good point.  Of course it's only a warning and warnings are
> often ignored when you're in a hurry.

Sure, but it's better than nothing.

I was half tempted to suggest making the tuple (version 1.0 source,
non-native version number, native source format) into a fatal error,
but obviously that's a compatibility break - but if there's no reason
to prefer version 1.0 over version 3.0 (native), then maybe it's a
compat break that would be worth it to get rid of one of the traps
inherent in format 1.0 implicitly choosing between native and non-native?

> So we ask the users of
> format 1.0 source packages to add an appropriate setting to
> debian/source/options.
>
> Anyway, it seems to me that if debian/source/format says `3.0
> (native)' then the warning is inappropriate.

Maybe the setting you say is appropriate should also silence such
warnings. Do you know which tools produce them? The Lintian maintainers
are generally receptive to patches for this sort of thing.

    smcv