Re: Git Packaging Round 1: Hopefully Easy Stuff

Hi Sam,

> BTS for Patches
> ===============
>
> Regardless of anything they are doing with Git, maintainers of a package
> are expected to process patches sent to the BTS.  You cannot respond to
> a patch telling someone they need to file a merge request to have it
> considered.
> Today, the BTS is still very much an appropriate way to propose changes
> to a Debian package.

I agree with that, although I think that we should tell bug reporters
that - if the package is maintained on salsa (or maybe github, gitlab,
...), then we prefer merge/pull requests.

> Unmonitored Merge Requests Harmful
> ==================================
> [...]

Thats why I would suggest

3. If a package is maintained on salsa, maintainers have to process
merge requests. Please note that I did not write "accept". Denying
requests is very valid of course.

> VCS Packaging Info
>
> If you have a public repo then you should use vcs-git and vcs-browser.
> I'm reasonably sure this is even already well documented.
Definitely. If that is not yet in policy, it should go in there asap.

Bernd