Consensus Call: Git Packaging Round 1

Hi.
I'm going slower than I did for the dh discussion mostly because
non-Debian aspects of my life are taking up a fair bit of time at the
moment.

My take is that I mostly got things right:

1) Maintainers need to respond to packages in the BTS.

2) I think I got the emphasis wrong on handling merge requests.  We
should emphasize the recommendation to handle merge requests rather than
leading off with the option of turning them off.  If you are going to
handle merge requests, setting your notification level to "watch" rather
than "global" will give you email notifications of merge requests.

However it's far preferable to turn off merge requests than to leave
them on and not monitor them.

3) We seem to be good on recommending vcs-* in packages that use Git.

Next steps:

Obviously if the above doesn't seem right please reply.
I'm going to go on with the next round of questions.
At the end I'm imagining all this gets folded up into a wishlist bug on
developers-reference.
Volunteers who would be willing to help turn such a bug into a proposed
patch would be welcome.  I don't plan on doing that work myself.